Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's In a Name



This morning, some rather harsh news came via my mom...my grandfather Henjum had passed away lastnight. He was 92, had been married to my grandmother, Ida, for 72 years. It's all too often that when we lose someone we are overwhelmed with feelings of sadness, remorse and guilt that maybe we didn't take enough time, make enough phone calls, spend enough time visiting. While this is true, the first thing that came to my mind was what an amazing life. I remember after graduating from college, while all of my friends were rallying to far away places to party and just hang out, I chose to venture down to Arizona to spend some time with my grandparents, since they weren't able to come up for the celebration. I spent alot of time hanging out with them, talking about years past, about their relationship, about the farm that they lived on and cared after for years. I even brought my video camera down to interview them and now the responsibility falls on my shoulders to finally put that together after 8 years of collecting dust and traveling in boxes from north to south. After years have passed, my grandfather, every time I talked with him and see him, would always say how sorry he was for not going to the Grand Canyon or not doing more while I was there. "How bored you must have been" he would say to me. I would always say that I had a great time and that I just wanted to spend time with them. Now in the wake of his passing I truly feel blessed to have spent that one on one time with each of them at such a developmental time in my life. Thank you, grandpa, for being such a huge role model for me. For being a wonderful husband to your loving wife. For being a great father to your children. For being man enough to deal with your everday battles. For being a strong individual. For being a rock with Christ. From you I have learned so much, more than you will ever know. I know that you are in a better place and we will see you soon. Donald Henjum, my grandfather, my hero.

2 comments:

Nana and Poppy K. said...

I love you Jason. You're not only my son whom I love, but you are someone I highly respect for the decisions you have made, your path you have chosen. You are a strong person, one who told me years ago how you didn't want to wait for things to happen, you wanted to make them happen yourself. That motivation and determination comes from your heritage. Always be proud of where you come. You are so wise, so sensitive, so loving and kind. Choosing to spend time with your Grandparents was so unselfish of you. I know how much they enjoyed having you visit. I remember how amazed Grandpa was when you drew on that placemat at the restaurant. You were pretty little and he just couldn't get over the talent you had a such a young age. When you started working at Oakley, he was thrilled that you persevered and you are using the talent God blessed you with. He was very proud of you and so am I.
I love you,
MOM

Anonymous said...

Ok, Jason, I didn't cry once about Gramps until I read your blog! The tractor with "Don Henjum" graphic really hit me about him! You are such a great writer and you showed how Gramps was in your life. So funny, he's both of our Grandpa! I will miss him so much! Come back to Colorado some day with your family!
Love your cousin,
Beth