Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Meetings



There is something truly mesmerizing and daunting about sitting in meetings all day long. "Well the issue is here", "Hindsight is always 20/20" and the ever classic "Well, it was a bad graphic". Everyone has an opinion, everyone is a critic, everyone is an expert. Enough said.

Moving on...and continuing with my thought crime, I am absolutely astonished at California. So, just in case you don't live here, we're having budget issues. Much like the federal government, the State of California has racked up quite a lot of outstanding debt and are looking to right the ship. Even though the State has now collected 40% more revenue since 2004, they still can't figure out how to "live within their means" as we as citizens are expected to do. If I amount a certain amount of debt, it is my responsibility to repay said debt. I'm supposed to spend within the means of what I make and not go into the red. However, when it's our governement, they can spend an insane amount of money on bullshit programs that don't benefit the taxpaying citizens of this state. Meanwhile, our schools, emergency services and other forms of local services feel the brunt of the misappropriation of funds through cuts and lack of funding. Consider this, if you had $2000 dollars this month for rent, bills and life overhead costs and you decide to spend the money on plants, you won't make rent, and if you continue along this path, you will be out on the street. Supposedly the legislature is working on the budget meanwhile we have bills and laws being passed that prohibit the use of cel phones while driving. I can still shave, drink my coffee, pick songs on my iPod, text message and read the paper at the same time while driving and not get a ticket. Really? This is their focus? I've lost confidence. Positions of public service are designed around service. To me it sounds alot more like disservice at this point.

Tomorrow morning I will wash it all off when I get in the water. I gotta clean the "society" off me.