Friday, January 25, 2008

Ready for "Home"



Germany is absolutely breathtaking for me. Historically. Because of family roots. Stunning. I spent my birthday, yesterday, wandering the streets of Berlin, soaking it all in, snapping photos of a church which had been decimated by the allied forces in World War II, the remaining section standing as an eerie reminder among modern shopping centers made entirely of glass and steel. Also a sobering moment was spent at the Berlin wall, or rather what is left of it. I walked slowly along the length of one section left intact, complete with large displays depicting the history and horror of a time we'd all like to forget but shouldn't. In between these briefs moments of focus, my mind remained on my wife and daughter, praying for their safety, for their sanity in the absence of the other member of our family, me. I thought that I could power through this trip, stay focused on shopping the market, studying and consume myself with my work at hand. The first week went well, jumping from country to country, airport to airport, store to store. Daily, I checked our family blog for new posts, but then it got to the point of checking it to secure my sanity in missing seeing them, missing hearing them.

/ / / / /

Now, I have only a couple of days left on the trip, the last leg, the kick, the sprint. Just powering at this point, trying desparately to reach that light. Desparate to reach the "home" that is my wife and my daughter. The comfort. The community. The family. The love.

1 comment:

Nana and Poppy K. said...

Hi Jason,
We have enjoyed reading your blog so much! Travelling in Germany sounds extra specially cool!!
I posted a few pictures of Paisley on our blog
nanapoppyk.blogspot.com (I guess you have our link on your blog)
We love you and miss you,
MOM and DAD